Proudly Middle Class. Proudly Kenyan

I ate in a kibanda yesterday. I'm meeting someone at Java today. I will have a dinner date at the Kempinski tomorrow.
I am proudly middle class.
I voted in the nominations last week. I did not bother with the nominations. I will stand in line in August. I will stay home in August because none of the candidates appeals to me.
I am proudly middle class.
I bought my favourite pair of jeans from my guy at Toi market. I bought my favourite sneakers from the Nike Store in New York's Fifth Avenue. My suits are made by the Indian guy on Banda Street because he's the only one who knows how to successfully hide my paunch.
I am proudly middle class.
I speak sheng to my pals from back in the day. I speak in jang'o to my mother. I shout in kisapere to my children when they truly piss me off. I put on an accent when the wadosis come from head office in London.
I am proudly middle class.
I've got debt on my credit card. I just got promoted at work and now my salary is in the comfortable mid-six figures. I lost my job last month and they may repossess my car. My side hustle finally cracked the million-shilling ceiling.
I am proudly middle class.
I complain about my internet not reaching 20mbps (and I've paid for it!). I complain about the government providing tablets to school children who don't have classrooms. I complain about the butter shortage. I complain about the opposition's lack of ideas to combat the famine.
I am proudly middle class.
I am looking forward to Blankets and Wine this weekend. I think reggae night ya last week ilibamba vinoma. I sing in the church choir. I wish someone would bring Lionel Richie to Kenya on concert.
I am proudly middle class.
I am proudly Kenyan.

Comments